Friday, February 1, 2013

WORZ Gorillas

And now for a second bombardment of gorilla photos, this time from Werribee Open Range Zoo. It was my first time visiting the zoo and I was very impressed. I do think it would have been a lot more enjoyable in the school term though, being school holidays it was packed with screaming children. It's shame that people aren't bright enough that a gorilla probably isn't going to be impressed by your unimpressive chest beats and bizarre Tarzan calls. And that wasn't even the children, those were the adults! Now I've had my whinge, I will say that there were also lots of sensible people who were quiet and respectful when watching the gorillas.


The houses three males, Motaba and his two youngest sons, Yadumu and Ghubari.

This is Motaba. I really like him a lot, he's a magnificent silverback. Motaba spent a lot of the time sitting with his back against the glass, so it was very near impossible to get decent photos of him up close, but I think I did pretty well considering. I loved being close enough to actually smell him, I love the scent of gorillas- so gorillary (made up word)!

Motaba

Motaba

Motaba


This is Yadumu (Yakini), the 'middle' gorilla. He spent a lot of time snoozing in a shady shelter. The last time I saw him was in January 2009, and he has matured so much since then.

Yadumu (Yakini)

Yadumu (Yakini)

Yadumu (Yakini)

And this is Ghubari (Ganyeka), Motaba's youngest son. I think he's a very handsome young man.

Ghubari (Ganyeka)

Ghubari (Ganyeka)

Ghubari (Ganyeka)

No comments:

Post a Comment