Friday, January 25, 2013

Melbourne Zoo Orangutans and Gorillas

Visiting gorillas is always very exciting for me as there aren't any living in South Australian zoos, so it's a rare treat to see what is probably my favourite animal of all.

Melbourne Zoo is one of my favourite places to see gorillas, along with Bristol Zoo in the UK, I just love their group, which now includes one of my favourite gorillas from Sydney, Mbeli. Unfortunately, Mbeli never really put herself in a decent spot for a photo so I didn't manage to get any of her. I did get plenty of photos of some of the other gorillas though, including my two other favourites, Rigo and Julia. I think Melbourne Zoo has a great gorilla enclosure, lovely and shady with lots of vegetation and places to get out of the public eye.

Rigo (looking pretty darn good for a forty-something year old):
Rigo

Rigo

Rigo

Yuska
Yuska

Julia
Julia

Julia


I loved watching the zoo's orangutans as well, especially beautiful baby girl Dewi. It's always special to see a baby ape cared for by his or her mother.

Maimunah and Dewi
Maimunah and Dewi

Dewi
Dewi

Maimunah
Maimunah

Gabby (Kamil)
Gabby (Kamil)

Kiani (Suma)
Kiani (Suma)

I have many more photos in my Flickr album: Melbourne Zoo
There are pictures from a few years back in there as well, the recent ones are in the bottom third.

No comments:

Post a Comment